Monday, May 11, 2020

Bug List


Isaiah Miller
UFID: 80191457
Bug List
5/11/2020

1.   The one-way line at the Nocatee Publix bugs me since many times they force people to go into more busy aisles just to wrap around to an empty aisle, when they could have violated the rule and encountered less, or no people.

This bug exists because of precautionary measures in Publix due to COVID-19 risks.  This bug also exists because the arrows do not say, "<--- unless the aisle is empty"

2.       It bugs me that in Jacksonville, people merge into turning lanes prior to the lane beginning. They merge onto the painted lines prior to the actual lane, many times at faster speeds than those in front of them, opening up the potential for an accident.

This bug exists because many turning lanes occur at a stop light, and when the traffic is backed up before the turning lane starts, people save time by using the shoulder as a lane up until the turning lane begins.  This acclimates them to hitting the lane early, and so it becomes a habit.

3.       It bugs me when the closest lane driver waves others to pull through multi-lane traffic when only the front line of traffic is stopped, and the other lanes are still flowing. Meanwhile there is no visibility of the other lane or two, and when others pull through the 'break' in traffic, it opens up the opportunity to get t-boned (I have witnessed these types of accidents on numerous occasions).


This bug exists because the driver waving traffic through is trying to be courteous, but doesn't realize the potential risk.  The driver trying to cross the traffic sees the driver waving as a 'green light' and doesn't think about the other traffic they can't see. 

4.       It bugs me that the Nocatee UPS Store cannot scan USPS items in for an origin scan, even though they allow USPS drop-offs. This leaves a blank record on the tracking until USPS scans it, and occasionally they never get an origin scan leaving no insurance recourse.


This bug exists because the UPS store doesn't have access to USPS scan systems.

5.       It bugged me when a recent company I was excited to do business with, On Fire SEO, branded themselves as having a unique service, even though they pawn off the entire service to the white-label service RocketDriver.


This bug exists because white-label services make it very easy for natural salespeople to sell a product without having to provide the actual service.

6.       It bugs me that my bedroom is warmer than the rest of my house, as it is the farthest room from my air handlers.


This bug exists because the air ducts leading to the bedroom are the same diameter as the rest of the house, but much longer, meaning the air flow is not as high a pressure and therefore less cold air gets into my bedroom.

7.       It bugs me that my electric Orbit 6000 toothbrush sprays toothpaste everywhere if I forget to turn it off before I take it out of my mouth.


This bug exists because there are no sensors on the toothbrush that indicate the brush has been lifted from my teeth. There is no automatic shutoff when it isn't pressed onto my teeth.

8.       It bugs me when my cats, Switch Blade and Tuna, urinate on the carpet instead of their litter box.


This bug exists because my cats don't understand the significance of urinating on the carpet.  They do not understand how hard it is to remove the odor, or the replacement cost of new carpet.

9.       It bugs me when my cats, Sushi and Tuna, knead on my carpet, tearing it up, instead of kneading the wicker toy I spent money on for them.


This bug exists because the cats are not declawed, and they do not understand nor care that the kneading essentially ruins the carpet.
10.   It bugs me when my AT&T U-Verse internet intermittently cuts off for about ten minutes each day.


This bug exists because I haven't contacted AT&T to see if there is a solution. It could be occurring due to a fault in the hardware. 

11.   It bugs me the two shower heads in my master shower aren't calibrated. Each shower knob needs to be turned at different angles to achieve the same temperature, and the left knob is much hotter than the other.


This bug exists because the bracket for the handle is screwed on at different angles for each handle.  I also believe the hot water lines are different lengths, because one is much stronger (shorter) than the other.

12.   It bugs me the condemned homeowner up the street at 529 E Silverthorn Ln, who refuses to mow her lawn and has a 'for sale: cash price' listed on her garage door, declines every offer on her house, even for the asking price she lists on her garage. She doesn't truly want to sell it!


This bug exists because the homeowner has beef with the neighborhood HOA and wants to maximize the legal costs for our neighborhood. She feels banished and wants retaliation.

13.   It bugs me that the ice machine on my new LG fridge often misses my cup, resulting in a wet floor.  I bought a rug to put under my fridge for this reason. Who has a rug under their fridge?


This bug exists because the design leaves a large gap between the cup rim and the actual dispenser.

14.   It bugs me that my new General Electric dryer has a de-wrinkle option, but doesn't use steam, so it only heats the clothing up and is very ineffective (expensive, I assumed it had steam).


This bug exists because GE took a budget route to a de-wrinkle feature, and it also exists because I didn't perform adequate due-diligence before making the purchase.

15.   It bugs me that eBay and Amazon have banned face mask and hand sanitizer sales, even for those that don't want to price gouge and would rather sell at a reasonable price.


This bug exists because price-gougers took advantage of the times, and eBay and Amazon decided banning all sales was easier than trying to moderate the sales. 

16.   It bugs me that people in Jacksonville drive under the speed limit in the 'passing' lane on I-95.


This bug exists because people aren't educated on the fact the left lane is the 'passing' lane, and using it as a regular lane does not have any enforced consequences. 

17.   It bugs me that my lawn care service, Taylor Anthony, worked really hard to earn my business, did a great job the first few times, and then began to slack off as they got comfortable.


This bug exists because contract-based work allows people to meet the minimum requirements and still be legally abiding to the contract.  I could solve this by opting for a monthly option, and then holding the company accountable.

18.   It bugs me that the gas pump handle at the Shell gas station on CR 210 West doesn't have the 'lock flow' feature that allows you to take your hand off of the handle and while the gas continuously pumps.


This bug exists because the 'lock' was removed, likely because there is some risk associated with the lock feature. Namely, it won't stop until the tank is full, so if you remove it without releasing the lock before the tank is full, the gas will continue to spray.

19.   It bugs me when commercials on Hulu are noticeably louder than the program itself.


This bug exists because there is a lack of regulation of commercial volumes. 

20.   It bugs me that my new Brother Industries printer doesn't let me print ANYTHING if one of the toner cartridges is empty, even if I don't need to use that toner color.


This bug exists because a simple software rule was added to the software that forces consumers to have each toner cartridge full at any given time.  A simple modification of the firmware on the device could remove this requirement. 




I didn't find this too difficult, as my father is extremely critical and so I have been trained to be critical and to complain (I've made some good progress though over the past few years).  With that said, it takes a lot to really make me mad, so many of these are simply things I notice that I could complain about.  I usually try to say out loud some way I am grateful about the 'bug' when it happens so that I can minimize negative thoughts. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Isaiah,

    I have experienced some of the same frustrations as you, namely the ones about driving and having a hot bedroom. I solved the latter by sleeping in my guest room during the summer!
    Overall it seems like you have put a good deal of effort thinking or even looking up why certain bugs exist. I had a similar theme for my bugs, by either talking about badly designed products or having to deal with annoying people.

    -Raj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isaiah!

    After reading your list, I saw that we have some similar bugs. I also am frustrated by gas pumps without the "lock flow" feature, but never considered the potential for risk as the reason that they would be missing, I just assumed the had broken over time. A bug on your list that I wish I had been able to think of was commercials on Hulu being much louder than the program you are watching, and have found this to be true for the relationship with most tv shows and commercials. I liked that your list was very specific and I could tell that you spent a lot of time compiling it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isaiah!

    I am sad to tell you that I am be bugging you! I sadly am one of the people that merge into turning lanes prior to the lane beginning, and I may or may not be traveling at a faster speed than those around me. Lucky for you, I don’t live in Jacksonvile! Your shower bug, number 11, would drive me absolutely insane. We share some common annoyances, one of which I shared on my bug list, people driving slow in the fast lane. I enjoyed reading your bug list, as well as how you attributed your skills for this assignment to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Isaiah!
    I noticed that we share a lot of the same bugs, and apparently a lot of others do too. Your bug list was very thorough and well thought out. You really did a great job showing why exactly these things bug you and how they may bug others. I also get annoyed whenever the gas pump doesn't have the lock but I try to not pay too much mind to it, so it was interesting to hear it from another perspective! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Isaiah,
    I really liked your bug list and you truly have an interesting view on things that are going on around you. I can tell you put a lot of work into your list and I'm excited to continue your posts as the semester continues. Your idea that the lawn care service provider has stopped working as hard now that they have your business is interesting and highlights a problem that can be expanded to many other types of business. I think your post was insightful

    ReplyDelete